DEPARTMENT: Education & Community Initiatives, Boston Studio
REPORTS TO: Community Relations Manager
TERM: Spring 2013, 10 - 20 hours per week, Start date: TBD with candidate
Description of Program:
At Boston Ballet, our Education and Community Initiatives have gained national attention and provided models for arts education and community programming throughout the country. As we continue to give students an opportunity to engage in high-quality arts experiences—in neighborhood schools, community venues and the Boston Ballet’s world class facilities, it is our hope that we will cultivate and educate a new generation of life-long arts advocates and participants.
Description of Position:
The Community Relations & Administration internship is an opportunity to learn the inner workings of a non-profit arts organization. Interns with Boston Ballet serve as integral team members assisting the full-time and part-time staff with daily operations as well as long-term goals.
The primary roles and responsibilities of the Community Relations and Administration Intern include:
- Creating documentation for current programming
- Developing communications regarding programming and events for families
- Preparing for upcoming ECI programming
- Managing special ticketing operations for ECI families
- Participation in general office operations, record keeping, database management, special events and other projects as assigned.
- Attending and documenting meetings with local government officials, administrators for Boston Public Schools, and community partners
- Preparing research on educational and governmental trends for future ECI community initiatives
- Event planning (may include evening/weekend hours)
- Providing excellent customer service for community partners and parents
- Enrolled in junior or senior year of a bachelor’s degree program
- Experience in a dance related field is not necessary by may be helpful.
- Interest in community organizations, non-profit management and/or arts administration.
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills
- Exemplary computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite
- Flexibility, positive attitude, and good work ethic
- Ability to work independently, and as a member of a team
Unpaid. Interns may receive academic credit for participation in Boston Ballet’s internship program.
- Interns of Boston Ballet receive a discount on Open Adult classes held at all three studio locations
- Interns receive up to two complimentary tickets to Boston Ballet productions during the Internship term, subject to ticket availability
Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. IMPORTANT – PLEASE INCLUDE THE NAME OF THE INTERNSHIP FOR WHICH YOU ARE APPLYING IN THE SUBJECT LINE OF YOUR E-MAIL. No phone calls please.