Community Relations Internship
JOB TITLE: Community Relations Internship
DEPARTMENT: Education & Community Initiatives,
LOCATION: Boston Ballet, 19 Clarendon St Boston MA
REPORTS TO: Community Relations Manager
SCHEDULE: 12-15 hours per week
Start date: TBD with candidate
Description of Program:
The mission of Boston Ballet's Department of Education and Community Initiatives (ECI) is to connect our community to dance in a way that makes ballet relevant. ECI's vision is to cultivate and educate a new generation of life-long arts advocates and participants through our commitment to education, collaboration, inclusion and innovation.
The department's primary goals are to serve as a laboratory for the development of best practices in arts education, to implement innovative community building efforts and cultivate creative, dynamic young leaders who apply the principles and discipline of dance beyond the studio and stage environments.
ECI's programs and services reach up to 5000 youth per year in Boston, North Shore and the surrounding communities. Education programs include Citydance, Adaptive Dance, Taking Steps, Boys in Motion, in addition to various community programs, projects, partnerships and events.
Description of Position:
The Community Relations Manager is responsible for building and sustaining community relationships while developing and managing the strategy for community partnerships and events. The Community Relations Intern provides crucial support to the Community Relations Manager, assisting with daily operations as well as long-term goals, event planning, community research and strategy.
The primary roles and responsibilities of the Community Relations Intern include:
- Event planning: (may include evening/weekend hours)
- Planning for department-wide events, including attendee tracking, communications, run sheets, event briefs and coordination as needed
- Planning for Boston Ballet at the Strand Theater, including communications, grassroots marketing, pre-show event coordination and coordination of the morning performance for Boston Public School students (Spring semester only)
- Community Partnerships and Community Research:
- Completing targeted community research projects that align with Boston Ballet's Core Values, Community Relations Policy and Community Relations Strategy
- Preparing research and recommendations on educational and governmental trends for future ECI and Boston Ballet community initiatives
- Attending and documenting meetings with local government officials, administrators for Boston Public Schools, and community partners
- Community Programs:
- Managing special ticketing operations for ECI families and community partners
- Assist with planning and coordination of ECI Workshops for middle, high school and college students, including curriculum development, communications and coordination
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned, including database management and administrative support
- Enrolled in junior or senior year of a bachelor's degree program
- Interest in community organizations, international relations, economic development, non-profit management and/or arts administration
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Exemplary computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite
- Flexibility, positive attitude, and good work ethic
- Ability to work independently, and as a member of a team
Unpaid. Interns may receive academic credit for participation in Boston Ballet's internship program.
- Boston Ballet interns receive discount on Open Adult classes held at all three studio locations
- Interns receive up to two complimentary tickets to Boston Ballet productions during the Internship term, subject to ticket availability
Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com. IMPORTANT - PLEASE INCLUDE THE NAME OF THE INTERNSHIP FOR WHICH YOU ARE APPLYING IN THE SUBJECT LINE OF YOUR E-MAIL. No phone calls please.
Questions? Please contact Sarah McKitterick at 617-456-6208 or ECI@bostonballet.org