DEPARTMENT: Education & Community Initiatives, Boston Studio
LOCATION: Boston Studio
REPORTS TO: Taking Steps Program Manager
TERM: Not Available Spring 2013
Description of Department:
The Boston Ballet’s Division for Education and Community Initiatives (ECI) aims to cultivate and educate a new generation of life-long arts advocates and participants. The department’s programs serve a range of community constituents and are designed to connect young people and their families with high quality arts experiences in neighborhood schools, community venues (Boston Opera House and Strand Theater) and the Boston Ballet’s world class facilities.
Description of Position:
The Taking Steps internship is an opportunity to learn the inner workings of the Taking Steps and Taking Healthy Steps program. Interns with Boston Ballet serve as integral team members assisting the full-time and part-time staff with daily operations as well as long-term goals.
The primary roles and responsibilities of the Program Administration Intern include:
- Disseminating Taking Steps/Taking Healthy Steps communications to partner schools and organizations
- Processing prospective Taking Healthy Steps student information and student registration materials
- Providing excellent customer service for partner schools, parents and ECI families
- Creating documentation for current programming
- Preparing research for future ECI community initiatives
- Creating communications regarding programming and events for families
- Preparation for upcoming ECI programming
- Managing special ticketing operations for ECI families
- Participation in general office operations, record keeping, database management, special events and other projects as assigned.
- Assistant teaching during the Taking Healthy Steps program
- Junior or senior undergraduate class standing
- Completed course work or a degree in education or dance a plus
- Excellent communication skills
- Computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite*
- Curriculum planning skills
- Interest in dance and arts integrated educational models
- Familiarity with Massachusetts and national standards for dance education
- Strong attention to detail
- Experience in a dance related field is preferred
- Experience working with adolescents a plus
- Flexibility, positive attitude, and good work ethic
- Ability to work independently, and as a member of a team
Unpaid. Interns may receive academic credit for participation in Boston Ballet’s internship program.
Interns of Boston Ballet School receive discount on Open Adult classes held at all three studio locations
Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. IMPORTANT – PLEASE INCLUDE THE NAME OF THE INTERNSHIP FOR WHICH YOU ARE APPLYING IN THE SUBJECT LINE OF YOUR E-MAIL. No phone calls please.