Boston Ballet and Boston Ballet II have specific technical requirements for the venues in which they perform. Below are generic technical parameters for the Company’s touring engagements as well as Boston Ballet II performances:
- Minimum onstage dance area (excluding wings and backstage space) of 48’-0” wide and 38’-0” deep.
- Ability to maintain temperature of no less than 70° Fahrenheit onstage, in all dressing rooms and areas where the company dancers may be.
- Stage floor surface in compliance with the American Guild of Musical Artists requirements for dance.
- Clean, well lit dressing rooms for 50 dancers and dressing room or office space for the company’s support staff (numbers can vary based on repertoire).
- A line plot, ground plan and section of the theatre must exist and be provided to the company in advance.
- The theatre must have adequate power to run a theatrical lighting system (400 amp 3 phase service).
- The sound system should be the highest quality and include onstage monitors.
- There must be a public address system that is audible in all rehearsal studios, hallways and dressing rooms.
- A tuned working 88 key piano must be available for company class either onstage or in an adjacent rehearsal dance studio.
- A loading dock that can accommodate a tractor trailer.
- The Company must have exclusive use of the theatre, dressing rooms and backstage area while during any planned residency.
- The theatre or local presenter will need to provide skilled theatrical stagehands to facilitate the loading in, rehearsal, performance, and load out. Specific numbers of crew would be determined by the repertoire.
Boston Ballet II
- Minimum 30’x30’ dance area, upon which we will tape down our portable Harlequin Cascade dance floor with cloth gaffers tape.
- Parking for one cargo van and one 15 passenger van.
- Access to water (we will need to mop the dance floor before the performance).
- Clean and separate changing space for the men and women of the company (not restrooms).
- Access to electricity for our P.A. System.
- These are only the bare minimum requirements; certain repertoire, programming, and performance locations could also require lighting equipment, staging, or additional equipment.
Technical specifications are engagement specific and primarily dependent upon the repertoire presented. Detailed riders beyond the above requirements accompany all individual bookings. For more information, contact Boston Ballet’s Production Manager / Technical Director, Benjamin Phillips at email@example.com.