Designed for students and young professionals ages 18-24, this unique program takes place June 23-30, 2013 at Boston Ballet School’s North Shore Studio in Marblehead, MA. By providing the space to explore the process of choreography and discover artistic voices, Choreographic Intensive nurtures a fresh generation of artists and expands the horizons of current professional dancers.
Led by international choreographer Helen Pickett (SDP faculty and Boston Ballet guest choreographer) and Thaddeus Davis (Wideman/Davis Dance) this is a unique opportunity for dancers to be part of a contemporary ballet program that creates a space for the art of choreography to grow. Ballet, Forsythe technique, composition and development discussions are all a part of this exciting week that culminates with an open house to showcase what participants have learned and created.
Experience the process of choreography through the eyes of some of contemporary ballet’s leading choreographers.
Investigate your role as a dancer in the creative process while working with a choreographer.
Explore and develop your own choreographic voice.
Create opportunities for future connections with Boston Ballet and the colleagues you will meet at the Choreographic Intensive.
Participants are selected based on the strength of their classical ballet training and their interest in developing their future in contemporary ballet choreography. Interested applicants should apply by May 31, 2013. Tuition is $900.00, and optional, apartment-style housing is available at Salem State University for $400.00. Space is limited, apply early. For more information, contact us at SDP@bostonballet.org.
Video Audition Instructions
- There is a $50 video audition fee which may be paid by check or money order made out to Boston Ballet.
- The video must be recorded after October 1, 2012 to be eligible for submission. Please mark the video with the creation date. The video must be in a DVD format for American DVD players.
- Videos must be accompanied by a completed audition card, resume, and recommendation letter from a dance professional with whom you are currently working. We will notify you of our decision within two weeks of receipt. If accepted, you will receive the necessary registration forms. All videos become property of Boston Ballet School and may not be returned.
- The video must demonstrate classical ballet technique; sample choreography may be included, but is not required. The video should not exceed 15 minutes in length.
- Please wear only leotards, tights and appropriate shoes in the video. Variations from this format will affect the evaluation of your audition, which may in turn affect your audition results.
Click here to watch a video from Choreographic Intensive’s inaugural year in 2010.