Boston Ballet’s mission is to bring new levels of excellence to ballet — both on and off stage. We will accomplish this through a process that is inclusive in scope, educational, and creative.
Inclusion means making ballet accessible and meaningful to broader segments of our community by:
● Expanding the relevance of ballet to the community — by presenting works that reflect timeless emotions and timely concerns
● Demonstrating strong commitment to diversity among our audience, students, artists, and staff
● Including our traditional audience as well as working to develop new audiences
Education means a dedication to continual enrichment and development of all our constituencies by:
● Illuminating the technical and artistic elements of dance, music, and the related theater arts
● Teaching ballet technique and related arts to students, ensuring a broad understanding of each
● Developing a new generation of artists and continuing to expand the horizons of current professional dancers and staff
● Relating the dance heritage of the past to the contemporary work of today
Creativity means developing new works and approaches to the art of ballet while preserving ballet’s rich legacy. We intend to accomplish this by:
● Examining and presenting the art form in new ways in the context of what has come before
● Creating new works and allowing new choreographic voices to be heard
● Fostering and promoting individual expression in all of us
Inherent in this mission are several tensions: taking artistic risks while not leaving our audience behind, managing for financial stability while allowing for artistic experimentation, being sensitive to the community while recognizing that ballet is not a mass art form. Meeting the challenges of these tensions has contributed to our success.
Through this mission we will significantly advance ballet as an art form, enrich the cultural life of our community, and create a heightened sense of excitement and reward for those who join us.
Read more on DIVERSITY, EQUITY AND INCLUSION AT BOSTON BALLET
Come dance with us.