Adaptive Dance Teacher Training
Learn and practice strategies for teaching dance to individuals with disabilities and techniques for implementing Boston Ballet’s Adaptive Dance program.
Led by expert faculty, the Adaptive Dance Teacher Training is for educators, program managers, physical therapists, and other service providers interested in teaching dance and movement to individuals with disabilities (emphasis on Down Syndrome and Autism Spectrum Disorders). Build upon a network of like-minded dance educators, therapists, administrators, and service providers during this unique opportunity!
Dates: August 5-6, 2023
Location (In-Person Only): Boston Ballet School’s Newton Studio, 153 Needham Street
Boston Ballet School’s UDL (Universal Design for Learning) complaint Newton Studio improves teaching and learning based on scientific insights. Teacher training participants will experience our specialized location which optimizes the Adaptive Dance Program student experience.
Boston Ballet School has reserved a discounted block of rooms at the Sheraton Boston Needham Hotel for ADTT participants. Please find details below. Reservation Link HERE
Start Date: Friday, August 4, 2023
End Date: Monday, August 7, 2023
Last Day to Reserve: Tuesday, July 4, 2023
Adaptive Dance Teacher Training Goals:
- Dance instruction and Q&A sessions with current faculty from Boston Ballet School’s Adaptive Dance Program
- Provide strategies for modifying dance instruction to meet the needs of diverse learners
- Bring awareness to some of the contextual needs affecting students with disabilities and their families
- Hear from Boston Children’s Hospital medical professionals to gain baseline knowledge about disability, diagnosis, and treatment
- Offer strategies for implementing elements of Boston Ballet School’s Adaptive Dance Program to meet the needs of various settings
Presenters and Panelists:
- Luciano Aimar (Head of BBS Children’s Program, BBS)
- Natalie Correa (Community Education Program Manager, BBS)
- Emily Dubose (Education Strategy Consultant, BBS)
- Jamie DeVito (Curriculum & Program Consultant, BBS)
- BBS Adaptive Dance faculty, accompanists, students, and families
- Partner organizations including Children’s Hospital Boston and Partners for Youth with Disabilities
*Please note that this is a professional development opportunity, not a certification program. Upon completion you will receive a certificate of program completion.