In our continuous efforts to create a more accessible and inclusive environment, Boston Ballet is excited to present a Sensory Friendly Performance of The Nutcracker on Thursday, December 29, 2022 at 1:30 pm.
While we believe this show will be an enjoyable experience for any patron, we have altered this performance to make it easier for guests who are neurodiverse, have sensory sensitivities or other social, learning or cognitive disabilities, and need accessibility accommodations to enjoy the ballet.
Some of these alterations to the performance include:
- The house lights will not be completely dark during the show.
- Loud noises will be restricted (i.e., Drosselmeier’s cannon).
- Some audience noise and/or talking might occur and is permitted.
- Audience members will be allowed back to their seats if they must step away.
- Soothing devices will be allowed in the theater (like iPads). Photography and video are still prohibited.
What to expect and what we will have available:
- Headsets will be available for audio description listening. If you require a headset, please send an email to email@example.com as soon as possible with your name and the number of headsets needed so we can plan accordingly.
- American Sign Language (ASL) ushers and interpreted announcements will be available. If you or someone in your party requires ASL interpretation, please select seats in Orchestra front left section of the house.
- Pre-show activities in the lobby of the Citizens Bank Opera House will start at 12pm.
- Audience members will have access to resource materials to prepare for their visit.
- Quiet spaces located in the VIP lounge in the lower lobby at the Citizens Bank Opera House.
- Large print program books will be available.
- Guides and greeters will be present.
To purchase tickets to this performance at a special, discounted price of $30, click here and use code ACCESS30. We are looking forward to sharing this experience with you.
If you have any questions, please contact the Box Office at 617.695.6955, M–F 10 am–4 pm.